Re: GPL2 incompatible with Apache 2.0
- Subject: Re: GPL2 incompatible with Apache 2.0
- From: Andreas Schneider <asn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:35:01 +0200
- To: Claudius Heine <ch@xxxxxxx>
- Cc: cmocka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andreas Reichel <Andreas.Reichel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Monday, 9 October 2017 14:03:51 CEST Claudius Heine wrote:
> we would like to use cmocka in a GPL2 project and have already written
> the test suite for it using cmocka. Then we found out that according to
> the Apache Foundation and FSF  the Apache 2.0 and GPL2 license are
> incompatible. Relicensing our project is not so easy and we might have
> to switch our testing code to a different framework.
> Is it possible to dual-license cmocka as MIT, BSD or GPL2? Or
> explicitly allow usage in GPL2 projects?
I htink that will not be possible. cmocka is a fork of cmockery by Google,
because cmockery is unmainted. I don't think that Google will agree to a
license change. Maybe an exception for allowing the GPL2 would be possible but
really hard to get. I would have to talk to the lawyers of Google for that ...
Is your software really GPLv2 only?
Andreas Schneider GPG-ID: CC014E3D